Monday, January 19, 2009

Bike Riding and Volunteering

On this beautiful MLK morning my agency decided that we'd spend some time volunteering.  We decided to join with the GGNRA to help clean up the Presidio.  There were around 8 or 9 Amazons that participated.  Our specific task was to go through and cut away the ivy.  Is is a parasitic plant that grows all over the ground and up into the trees drowning out the sun and killing the plants below.  As you can imagine I was super stoked to do this.  I had two pairs of sheers, one tiny and one lumber jack sized.  We spent about three hours climbing through the plants and hacking away and the evil ivy.  
Anyway, this was my bike route to the site and then to work after.

This was the tree being strangled by ive...
Just call me jack...
Half way to freedom.
The Amazons
I'm super excited to get dirty and rip out some evil ivy.

No comments: